Saturday, November 17, 2018

New Beginnings

I was going to make this blog nothing but my adventures with the comic book industry and some of the "challenges" I've had.  It's still going to be part that, but I also want to share with you some of my NEW adventures.

As a kid, I've always wanted to do something with art.  I never knew what exactly, but I wanted to draw.  Like most kids in the single digits, I would always watch cartoons and try to draw what I saw on tv and bring them to life on paper like they did.  Of course, it's not that easy, but this is how I taught my self how to draw.  I wasn't even introduced to comics until 6th grade (1990).  Yes I knew who Spider-man, Superman and those popular characters were.  But I never thought I'd work on those characters years down the road and color them professionally.

I know I'm going down memory lane here, but, bare with me.

Let's fast forward to 1999.  I've been accepted to the Walt Disney College Program at Walt Disney World in Florida.  That experience changed my life FOREVER!  Not only did I have to do my school work from back home (math, science and so on), but I also attended Disney University on Disney property for business (it was part of the College Program).  I even worked at Downtown Disney's, World of Disney store!  Which I'll save those stories for another blog..lol.  After about a month working there, I became the storyteller for the store where I'd read stories to kids in the Mad Hatters hat at certain times during the week.  I'll never forget the time I had a "wardrobe malfunction".  Of course that was the time I had the biggest crowd, about 50 kids and their families.  The drawstring to my PJ bottoms I wore that time got all knotted up backstage.  When I walked out to greet the kids and their families, my pants fell right down to my ankles.  But I had the best time working at the store, meeting people from all over the world and making some REALLY great friends.  By the end of my College program, I worked so hard at Disney University, I was awarded the DUCKtorate Degree (the highest degree from Disney University) and passed the Disney course.  During my time in the College Program, I learned about animation, drawing and creating your own stories.  I met animators, music groups (BSB, NSYNC, OTown just to name a few).  I think this is why I have such a connection with Disney and Florida.

The following year (2000), I met my best friend and now husband, Brandon.  At that time I was pretty heavy into creating music and producing.  I even had my own boy band (don't judge) where we started performing all over Illinois (all two places) and had a couple of bookings in Orlando (at Downtown Disney's House of Blues and the main stage on Pleasure Island).  The group didn't pan out, so Brandon and I moved to Orlando in 2002 where I can pursue my music career with Lou Pearlman (creator of BSB, NSYNC and others).  Well again, that fell through (because 9/11 happened just a few months prior to us moving).  I got a little depressed and upset, so I picked up my drawing pad and a pencil, and put my emotions into artwork.

Facebook wasn't even a thing then.  Myspace was HOT, like FaceBook or YouTube is today.  I posted a few of my drawing on Myspace and got some positive feedback.  But people wanted to see fully colored pieces (which I didn't have).  So I colored up one of my Spider-Man pieces (with colored pencils mind you) and posted it.  My page blew up.  People absolutely loved it.  I didn't know why.  Maybe it was "how" I colored him and the use of lighting and shadows.  After a year, in 2004, we moved back to IL.  I kept posting more and more colored piece and posting them to my profile.  A professional comic illustrator contacted me to color for him and sent me some of his art.  Helping him out by creating prints and building my own portfolio.  Well it worked.  After a few months, I was contacted by a small comic company (After House Press) to work on a comic for them cover to cover.  I had just started 4-6 months prior, coloring digitally using Photoshop.  I had NO clue what I was doing.  I taught myself by picking up my favorite comics and learning that way.  Sometimes that's the best way.  Just to get out there and DO IT!  OH, and by the way, did I mention that first comic I colored (Foxwood Falcons), I did for free?  I didn't care, I wanted to work in the industry badly and would do anything to get there.

Fast forward a few years, I got to work with some great companies such as: Marvel, Image, Storm King Comics, Zenescope, 4 Fingerd Press and MANY more.  Over 12 years of working in the industry.  But something was missing.  I wasn't completely happy.

2015 at MegaCon in Orlando, I woke up from a deep sleep looking around, then at Brandon.  I said to him as he's waking up, "I want to have my own animation studio".  Brandon practically asleep said, "ok".  That was the beginning of Jeff Balke Studios.

I continue daily to teach myself 2D animation both digitally and by CEL animation.  I'm learning new technologies and getting tips in how to create amazing animation.  I can't wait to show you guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment